Fabric Stash Burda 71223 McCalls M8051
Design,  DIY,  Personal Style,  Sewing

Stitching The Stash: Red Ankara Print

Part of my Stitching the Stash Fabric Stash Challenge: Round I , these are the garments I made from the six yards of beautiful red, black, and white geometric Ankara wax print fabric I picked up from Zesty Couture about a year ago. A skirt adapted from McCalls M8051, View B and a self drafted top. I have future plans to make pants adapted from Burda 7123, View B which are cut out but on hold for now while I shift my attention to my 2024 Birthday Gown. I cut the pieces on the cross grain to take advantage of the print for an interesting visual effect. This was the part that tickled me the most especially on the skirt. It creates such a fun visual illusion.


For the top, I self drafted a boxy shape with set in sleeves. I was extremely lazy with this pattern and didn’t make the shoulder width wide enough for my shoulders. I don’t know how I missed that, but I was tired and it looked right at the time. I didn’t have enough fabric to recut so I worked with it. I mimicked the vent closure on the skirt on the top and slipstitched it closed. The closure is a plain zipper sewn into the extension with a snap at the top, a narrow hem at the neckline and a blind hem at the waist.

For the skirt, I built up the waistline adding a finished 3.5” and added side seam pockets. I used medium weight interfacing (Pellon 911FF) to the extended waist to give it support and additional structure. It felt almost corset like but still had give once I was done which is exactly what I was going for. An invisible zipper for the closure with a hook and eye at top and a blind hem. Right now my overlock is out of commission so all seams are finished with a zig-zag stitch. All unlined.

The next installment in the Fabric Stash Challenge: Round I , the Dark Hawaiian Print Challis is already complete and I’ll be posting it soon!



Pellon 911FF Fusible Featherweight Interfacing
Ankara Print Fabrics – Zesty Couture

Leave a Reply